The world is crazy right now; everyone is suffering in some way or another. Some more than others. Its clear to see that as a society, our mental health is depleting and sooner or later, the rate of suicide will increase to a point of no return.
We need to start to focus on our mental health, as well as our physical health. Right now, lockdown means socialising with friends, going to the gym, or just a walk outside can mean ‘breaking the rules’. The pressure is far to heavy to carry, so im here to give you a gentle reminder that the small things can make a huge difference. Things will get better, and give you a few ideas on how you can ease the pain of our new normal.
Taking a moment to breathe can be one of the hardest things to do, and i’ll be the first person to say meditation is an extremely difficult skill. But, just taking a few deep breaths each day, or when we get overwhelmed, will help to ground you back to the present moment. And here’s how to do that:
– Take a moment, wherever you are.
- Sit with your back straight, or stand grounded with a lengthened spine.
- Close your eyes if possible or focus on one specific point directly in front of you.
- Take a big inhale through the nose.
- Exhale and sigh it out through the mouth.
- Start to focus on your abdomem.
- Imagine your belly rising as you inhale love and light.
- Exhale to draw the navel towards the spine, flattening the belly.
- Take these deep belly breaths 3 times.
- On your last exhale, repeat to yourself…
- ‘I am safe. I am grounded. I am in control.’
This excercise can be repeated as many times, or whenever you feel yourself getting anxious.
Just a few moments breathing help us bring our minds back to the present moment, remove any negative obstacles (for a while) and bring in the powerful, positive energy required to get into a good headspace.
Let me know if you give this a try, or if you have any other techniques, I’d love to know!